Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Good Times and Growing Pains

We're getting back to normal around here, slowly, and venturing out to play again. Heading to the park after school is a new routine, although school will be out in just a couple of days. Then I'll have a first-grader in the house, which is hard for me to grasp.
Sliding are, from left, Sawyer, Connor, Parker and (at top) baby Parker - Connor's little brother. At right is Sawyer sporting some static.


We've also been hanging out at Edwin Warner Park again. Some of the trails were damaged in the flood, but there are still some nice places to play. Parker likes to splash around in the water, but Sawyer prefers throwing rocks. Lots of rocks.

The past couple weeks have been packed with birthday parties. This one, for Parker's friend Charlie, was in a big backyard with a giant water slide. It was 91 degrees and sunny - perfect for water play.
Another 6th birthday party was for our longtime friend Connor. It was at Pizza Perfect, with video games and air hockey - perfect for a drizzly Saturday afternoon.
Clockwise from top left: Parker playing air hockey; Connor playing video games with his dad; my friend Amy playing a video game with Sawyer; and Connor opening presents (my friend Erica - Connor's mom - in background).

The kids are already soaking up these summery days. Erin's family has a new trampoline (top left), and we pulled out the gator to let Sawyer give it a try. Our little neighbor Trey came over to take it for a spin.

Another kid you might know has a birthday coming up ... this weekend!

Parker will be 6 years old, and he's testing his boundaries. On Sunday, he decided he was not happy with us as parents, and he was leaving. He packed his Batman bucket with jammies, crayons and toys, and tucked a pillow under his arm. I followed him up the street for awhile before finally making him turn around and go back to the house. I'm still not sure how I feel about that episode. It was one part heartbreaking, one part funny - and one part scary. The very next night, he asked to be rocked - which I did, happily. I'll take any opportunity to cuddle this growing boy.

Of course, I took a picture. ...


We're doing our best to deal gently with the angst and remember what it's like to be 5 going on 18.

4 comments:

Anonymous,  May 25, 2010 at 10:55 AM  

Wow, packing to leave home? Where do they come up with these things? I'm not sure how I would have handled it, maybe hide while they walk away to test if they get scared and run back home?

Funny, my post today is about growing pains... mostly mine.

Rebecca May 25, 2010 at 4:50 PM  

I know! I think he got the idea from Arthur (an episode where DW wants to run away) or from Where the Wild Things Are (the movie). I thought about hiding, but there was nowhere to hide without letting him out of my sight. Also, I forgot to write that there was no big reason for him to be upset. We spent the afternoon at that great water party, and I think he was just really tired and hungry (because he refused to eat anything other than cake and ice cream at the party) and we were making him sit down and eat dinner. Pretty terrible of us, right??

Kim May 27, 2010 at 12:13 PM  

This makes me smile, Rebecca.

When I was 7, I decided I didn't want to be part of our family anymore. So I went through the entire house and stuck Post-Its over my face in all our pictures.

Then I left :) At least Parker was smart enough to bring supplies! Someday, this will be one of your favorite Parker memories, I'm sure! And a great story (and photo) to show his future dates! :)

Hope you are doing great!

Rebecca May 28, 2010 at 9:09 PM  

Thanks, Kim! Very cute about the Post-It notes. :) My sister said she ran away (to the end of the road) when she was about 7, too. I guess it's a rite of passage. I hope you're doing well ... not much longer until your big day!

Followers

About This Blog

  © Free Blogger Templates Photoblog III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP