Friday, April 10, 2009

Butterflies, Butterflies!





Wow - it happened so fast! I noticed yesterday that a butterfly was fluttering around in its house. The first painted lady butterfly had emerged from its chrysalid while I was working on the computer just a few feet away... I wish I could have seen it in action. The other four were still working on their transformations. Then today - three more butterflies!! We dipped flowers in sugar water, and we were able to watch them drink with their long proboscis (a mouth part that works like a straw ... yes, I am so the butterfly expert these days).

One lone chrysalid remains, and I'll bet the last butterfly comes out tonight or tomorrow. I know it's been going on for millions of years, but the process is amazing - and fun to watch with a 4-year-old. Spring, birth, change, life. I feel a kinship with these little things.

If the weather is warm, we're going to let them fly free this weekend.



0 comments:

Followers

About This Blog

  © Free Blogger Templates Photoblog III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP