Monday, March 30, 2009

Living a Little


As a freelancer, one of my big challenges is staying focused. Piled-up dishes? Scattered toys? Ignore those. Focus instead on deadlines, e-mails, phone calls.
Not always easy. 
But what, I ask you, is a freelance schedule for if you can't make time for balance? 
I used to knuckle down as soon as the kids and husband were out the door - and I still do for the most part. I send off a few pressing e-mails, but then I hit the trail for a quick run. I've decided that I need to embrace the fantastic part of being a freelancer: It's my own time! I can take a jog through the neighborhood in the morning if I want to. Truth is, I'm happier and a lot more productive when I get back to the keyboard. 
So, my sort-of goal is to run a half-marathon next year. (Not this year. Sawyer just started sleeping through the night, you know, and I'm no superwoman.) But my real, for-now goal is just to be active and release stress and live a little. 
Here's a shot from an afternoon run last week. A warm spring rain was falling, and I listened to a podcast of This American Life. Just me and fresh air and Ira Glass. 
Awesome.


2 comments:

Anonymous,  March 31, 2009 at 1:29 PM  

Simply wonderful post- Running and Ira. :)

Ali Reickel April 5, 2009 at 10:13 PM  

Becky the boys have gotten so big. They are so handsome and sweet. Wish we lived closer so our boys could grow up together. xoxo ali

Followers

About This Blog

  © Free Blogger Templates Photoblog III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP