Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Sand Beach

Today we decided to hike the Ocean Path, a two-mile walk (four miles round-trip) which begins at Sand Beach - a sandy beach between mountains and rocky shores in Acadia National Park.

I didn't do much research before we went (only enough to know that it's an easy hike and a pretty one), so I wasn't prepared for the ethereal, misty beauty. I also wasn't prepared to see a bunch of people SWIMMING in the ocean when it was 59 degrees outside!



My plan was to go on the hike, eat our little picnic lunch and maybe check out the beach for a few minutes before we left. Wrong.

The hike begins at the beach, so we couldn't help but hear the waves crashing and lots of people laughing and squealing. When we came within sight of the water, my boys were mesmerized. Forget hiking - it was all about the beach!! They peeled their shoes off and took off like wild ponies. I told them not to get wet, but ... well, I could see what was going to happen. They chased waves and chased each other, threw sand, splashed and eventually fell into the surf and rolled around happily. I took lots of pictures and just let them play for a few minutes before making them head back to the car where they could strip their wet clothes off and warm up. We had to leave because I didn't have extra clothes. Next time, I'll be prepared.

This is a must-see place if you're in Bar Harbor. Sand Beach is hugely popular, and it costs $10 per car for a seven-day pass. We caught a glimpse of the hiking path and some of the amazing views as we were driving away. We will definitely be going back.

1 comments:

Rebecca June 15, 2011 at 8:26 AM  

Isn't it amazing the attraction the ocean waves and sand has for kids? Mine could run from waves all day long. This place is beautiful.

Followers

About This Blog

  © Free Blogger Templates Photoblog III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP