Monday, March 15, 2010

Thinking of C.P.



Last weekend, we traveled to Indianapolis to visit our dear family friend, C.P. Lester. He is my husband's best friend from DeWitt, Ark., and he is terminally ill in the hospital with stage four renal cell carcinoma (kidney cancer). We just packed up and went, and I'm so grateful we did. We were able to visit him and talk with him in the ICU before he had to go on a ventilator.


I should say that he just learned about the cancer a couple weeks ago, and it came as a shock - especially because it was so advanced. It just puts things in perspective and makes you want to stop and embrace life. Cliche, I know, but so true.

C.P. goes way, way back in the Denton family. Jerod's mom was his theater teacher, and C.P. helped babysit my husband when he was growing up. He has been like an uncle to my boys. He is my most loyal blog reader, a champion of all things having to do with my children. He always remembers birthdays and holidays - little things that mean so much. He has spent week-long beach vacations with us for the past seven years, and - well, he has just been there. He has a grumpy demeanor and a most generous heart.

We didn't take the kids to the hospital to see him. I'm at peace with that decision, although I was unsure at the time. I just know that I want Parker to remember happy times with C.P. - not a hospital bed and tubes.

My thoughts are with C.P. now, and I'm just so glad we did the inconvenient thing - the right thing - by loading up the kids and the car and driving on up there. I wish we could do more.

We love you, Ceepers. Please stay strong and keep fighting.


0 comments:

Followers

About This Blog

  © Free Blogger Templates Photoblog III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP